Thursday, September 4, 2008

Oh, what a tangled web we weave...

Samuel is no idiot. He has recently figured out the self-preserving benefits of lying. What he has not figured out is why it's wrong. None of the reasons we are giving him to be an honest boy seem to be making much of an impression.

Me: "It's wrong to lie because then we can't trust you"

Sam: (blank stare).

Me: "It makes mom and dad sad."

Sam: (non-committal) "oh"

And in desperation:

Me: "It makes Heavenly Father sad"

Sam: (blank stare) "Mom, is Jesus pretty tough?"

Me: Yes, he's really tough, but he doesn't like it when we lie."

Sam: "Is he tougher than dad?

Me: "Yes"

Sam: (whispering) "are you going to send me to Jesus?" (clearly referencing a talk we had about the body and where the spirit goes when we die. Heaven help us if Social Services ever gets their hands on him again!)

Me: "Yep!" (okay, I didn't actually tell him that, but wouldn't that be an effective threat? "Stop hitting your brother or I am going to send you to Jesus!" But then that makes him a bad guy, so that idea is out. It's unfortunate that there are no gypsies anymore. "I'm going to sell you to the gypsies" used to be bandied about, but kids just aren't buying that these days.)

A few nights ago, Samuel's bedroom door was open after I had left it slightly ajar. I told him to close it and his response was that the wind blew it open. Given that he has a ceiling fan that was on, I conceded that it might have happened and left it at that. Last night, he was watching a movie on the portable DVD player, which sits on his night table and which he has strict instructions not to touch. When checking on him I saw that it was in bed with him.

Me: "Sam, I told you not to touch this"

Sam: "but the wind blew it down here!"

Today, he dismantled his skeleton straw (don't ask) for the third time and asked me to put it back together (for the third time).

Me: "Sam, stop taking this apart"

Sam: (indignantly) "I didn't!" (calculating glint in his eye) "The wind blew it"

Now, I don't expect my four year old to understand the laws of physics and the improbability of the wind picking up his DVD player and depositing carefully in his lap, or taking apart his straw while leaving it in his hand, but how much of an idiot does he take me for? He is clearly thinking "if the lie ain't broke, don't fix it!" Maybe the best I can hope for is that he will continue to be dense enough to use his one size fits all lies until he feels like we "might be catching on." The mental anguish of either me or Jesus doesn't seem to bother him in the least.

In the meantime, I am going to go sit him down in front of Pinnochio and give him a pop quiz at the end.

11 comments:

J.L Schofield, Independent Scentsy Consultant said...

Cyndi! I LOVE your blog. Your kids are so cute. I know we're going to have similar challenges as our kids get older!
We moved to Ft Collins as a "compromise". Rick says we moved in searh of more sunshine, but that is just his reason. I didn't want to move back to UT and we thought Co would be a good place, so we visited and fell in "like" with this city. It feels good here and we're excited to be somewhere new and where we can settle down! I miss WA and will always love it there, but Rick needs more sun and after living there for six years, we figured it was time to move on.
Love ya, JL

La Yen said...

I lived in absolute fear of the gypsies.

We use "tricking." I say "are you tricking me?" and she will usually cop to it. She can't quite grasp the lie concept. But she knows about playing tricks.

CKW said...

Good one about the "tricking." I'm going to try that!

Amy said...

When I was 4 or 5 years old, I "lied" to my mom, and she had apparently reached her last wit, in the lying department. She proceded to put me over her knee and spank me, and I remember picturing this giant "LION" with a huge mane, and I couldn't figure out what that had to do with getting spanked. Good luck with that!

Kate said...

Actually I think it's good that Sam is learning a valuable skill early on in life. Because, let's face it, lying will help you get further in life. What you need to is help him make up more believable lies. Like you said, this wind blowing thing might not convince everyone.

CKW said...

...or anyone!

Brett said...

His lies are so cute right now but watch out for when he becomes more of an expert. Now for example, Jashon has become a pro and we are partially sad that he is using his impressive brain power to these less than wholesome ends and partially pleased, knowing that he will probably someday be a lawyer or something equally equitable to support us in our old age.

Jefe said...

Cyndi! I love this story. I told a portion of it on the radio this last Friday. It was Friday Lie-day. So how could I not? :) I wanted to tell the Heavenly Spongebob story, but I was crying when I read it. that may be the best thing I have ever heard.

CKW said...

Jefe, I would tell Samuel he is famous, but I'm afraid that would encourage the whole lying thing. Do we get some kind of royalties?

Jefe said...

Nope! We are definitely a public station, and nobody makes royalties off the radio anyway! As a matter of fact...I don't think artists even get paid for being on the radio...Maybe.

You should listen some time, and txt me, I will say hello to Samuel. You can find it online streaming at suunews.com under the power 91 button on the top right. We stream our webcasts, though it is 8-10 am.

CKW said...

Jefe - you knew I was kidding, right?

We will totally listen sometime. You say you are on from 8-10 a.m.? (I have no idea what "streaming a webcast" means.) Don't judge me!