Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Time to come clean

My children's penchant for going into my closet and harvesting all the coins that fall from our pockets reminded me of a story.

Back in middle school, our classes started later than the high school that my two oldest sisters attended. One day, in the lull between them going and me, I was desperate for 50 cents to spend at lunch. I was reduced to going to the only place in the house where I knew money would be left lying around. My sisters room. I crept in and glanced around. The bright purple carpet made spotting random quarters and dimes easy and in no time, I had a generous handful and convinced myself that they would never notice since they were just leaving it on the floor. By the time I reached the door however, my concience got the better of me and I thought I needed to work for my "payment." I spent the next five minutes picking up clothes and making their beds, and left feeling vindicated for my theft.

After school that afternoon, I found out that Dad had noticed the clean room and praised them and gave them money as a reward. They asked me if I had been the cleaning elf and when I confessed to that (but not the theft) they took me to pizza hut for lunch to say thanks.

So, here you go Jen and Bek; I'm sorry I stole 50 cents from you (probably more than once, actually) and then took the credit for being a nice kid. Although to be fair, I think you took the credit when dad was impressed that your room was so clean And you each got $5 out of the deal, so you profited $4.75 each. But, if you want, I am willing to come clean your rooms again as penance (I don't take money off the floor anymore). And thanks for the pizza!

3 comments:

Kate said...

I remember doing that! Except I didn't have a conscious like you did. I just took the money and ran. It would be interesting if somehow we were able to total up the total amount of money that Jen and Bek lost to us. Oh well, I guess the world will never know.

Jefe said...

Yeah, I definitely took money from Brad. I figure he will never read this, so this can be my confession...

Bek said...

I have no memory of this! Glad you kept track (and you guys are all welcome to our loose change any time...).

You have paid me back tenfold. You have been my house elf WAAYYY too many times....