Friday, September 26, 2008

My point is proven

The boys with the Grandparents Wren and their new coon skin caps

The boys and I were driving along in the car today listening to a Disney CD when the theme song from Davy Crockett came on. Having had a sister (yes, I said sister) who was very much into Davy Crockett in our younger years, I know that the gear required is only a coonskin cap and rifle. The imagination part is up to you. I reflected that it was kind of a shame many basic toys these days will talk and move and generally require little imagination. Not like the good old Davy Crockett/wooden blocks/barbies that don't sing days! It was at that moment that Sam asked "Mom, does Davy Crockett's gun transform into anything?"

Then I got my chops busted by him for laughing.


3 comments:

Kate said...

Actually ol' Bess (the name of the gun) does transform into something. If you turn it upside down, so the barrel is pointing up, you have a hockey stick. Which is how I broke ol' Bess when I was a young'un.

Did the Davy Crocket song come from a cd that a special sister made for her nephew by chance?

CKW said...

It originally did, and thats how he learned the song in the first place, but the CDin question was a disney compilation we bought for christmas last year. I don't know how many verses there are total, but on the version you found there is no verse where "the creeks uprose" (which is the only verse I rememberd besides the first one) I was glad to hear it in the other CD. Now I don't feel crazy.
I'll let Sam know about the transforming. All I remember about that gun was getting pinched by it everytime I primed it.

Jefe said...

I like your story! The kids are cute!