Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Do you like curry? Do you trust me?

I have sung the praises of this recipe for awhile now and no one yet has taken me up no the challenge to make it and then become addicted to it. I have recently discovered the wonderful world of Curry and this meal is one I want to eat at least once a week for the rest of my life. It's the only thing I cook, besides chicken nuggets, that my boys will actually eat more than one bite of. Your life will be better, your marriage will be better, and your children will be more adorable if you incorporate this simple dish into your meal plan. Go on! try it! And then come back and tell me what you think. Anyone? Anyone?

CURRIED COCONUT CHICKEN



2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1 teaspoon salt and pepper, or to taste
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons curry powder
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk (I use light and we don't notice the difference)
1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed, diced tomatoes
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
3 tablespoons sugar


DIRECTIONS
Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
Heat oil and curry powder in a large skillet over medium-high heat for two minutes. Stir in onions and garlic, and cook 1 minute more. Add chicken, tossing lightly to coat with curry oil. Reduce heat to medium, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in center and juices run clear.
Pour coconut milk, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and sugar into the pan, and stir to combine. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, approximately 30 to 40 minutes.
**If you have a range on your outdoor grill, then use it because the smell does linger a bit. But it's still worth it even if you don't!

8 comments:

Becky said...

I'm in! I'll have to wait a week or so until I have more money in my food budget to buy the things I don't already have in my house. . . but I'm excited to try it! Um, where do you find coconut milk though? I wouldn't even know where to look at the grocery store. :)

Bek said...

I love curry.... as you well know. I am always looking for a good recipe (I cheat and buy the TJ's stuff).

Coconut milk can be purchased in the ethnic foods aisle (check near the Thai food). I have also found it in the Mexican food section at Walmart (the real stuff with the spanish writing..not the tacos... do you have a section like that in your Walmart???).

Delightful.

You can also make the rice with coconut milk, or put toasted coconut in it AND add a bit of lime juice to it.. yum

CKW said...

becky - I buy the coconut milk at walkmart in the asian food section. Most local grocery stores have it too. If you do make it, eat it with Jasmine rice. I forgot to say that. I also have a great curry chicken satay recipe for you if you like this!

Bek - I owe my newfound love of curry to you.

Jefe said...

Yeah... My philosophy on curry is confusing. I do enjoy curry, yet when we were living in Cali, I would wake up and smell curry wafting into my nose. Ew. In the morning. So this is my confusing relationship...

Bradshaw Adventures said...

Sounds great!! I like curry-What day should we plan on joining you guys for dinner?

La Yen said...

I am all about this. You rule.

Amy said...

I trust you...I printed it, and I will let you know how it goes.

Becky said...

Tried the curry. Loved it--especially Jarom. It was a hit. . . thanks for sharing!