Sunday, March 1, 2009

One of THOSE moms, and totally okay with it!


Samuel starts preschool on tuesday. He is five now, so that shouldn't be such a big deal, but he has never been, and I realize now that I have been making excuses and putting him off despite the subtle signs that he is ready (such as his daily requests to start school for the last 6 months or the counting down until kindergarten and asking me to give him homework). I have frequently been accused of being one of "those moms." You know, the kind that will bravely waves Jr. off to school and then breaks down in tears in the car and goes home to ignore the rest of the kids for the day and wallow in a pint of Ben and Jerry's. This is opposed to the kind of mom who blithely waves Jr. off to school and then goes home to ignore the kids for the day and celebrate with a pint of Ben and Jerry's. Subtle differences, yes, but differences all the same. Don't get the wrong idea, though. I am not one of those patient, saintly moms. Not a day goes by that at some point I don't wish the gypsies would knock on the door and make me an offer. The boys have become each others best friends and worst enemies and I am growing weary of the constant referreeing, which is what hardened my final resolve for Preschool enrollment. I am amazed at the myriad of ways they have found to torture each other beyond the usual hitting, kicking and poking (and occasional punching, S gave T a black eye a few weeks ago. Am I raising Wren boys or what?!) Anyway, Thomas, who has a particularly strong dose of what my sister dubbed "the little brother gene" (those of you with little brothers know what I am talking about) has discovered that he gets a really awesome reaction when he licks Samuel. Yes, licks! I don't know whether to laugh or spank his bum when he does it. Samuel tends to carry on like he has been poisoned though, so it's definitely effective. You can't argue with results and T is particularly savvy at recognizing what benefits come along with which actions. For instance, he mimicked Jay, who said I looked pretty when I came down for church a month or so ago. Based on my enthusiastic reaction, he has been inspired every Sunday to coyly look at me with his big, blue eyes and say "you look pretty/bootiful, mama." I assure you he gets well rewarded. Sam's preferred method of torture is to steal thomas' nose. Yes, you read that right. Samuel has somehow picked up on the standby joke of grandpa's everywhere and will pinch thomas's nose, casually announce that he is not going to give it back and wait for the howls. And oh, the howls! Thomas is horrified and will not be placated until I intervene and "make" Samuel "give him back" his nose (all the while thinking, " I went to college, I went to college..."). Sometimes I give him mine and the look of sheer relief on his face his comical. There is no catching it on camera, but it is definitely genuine.

In preparation for new baby sister (gasp, milestone...) we have moved the boys into thomas' room and set up bunkbeds, which they are thrilled with, of course. Who wouldn't like a bed that involves a ladder, a potential fort (when you curtain off the bottom bunk) and a certain element of height and danger? Every time I go in to tuck them back in, I get a tug on my heart that they are both growing so fast. Bunk beds just seem like such a big boy thing. I know 5 and 2 1/2 are still little, but it doesn't feel like it when you notice that they have started to run like little boys and not toddlers, or don't fit on your lap as well anymore. Or, when your five year old carries on intelligent conversations about aphids and the many ways you can kill slugs. Or your two year old spends the afternoon running around with a football, slamming it onto the ground and concocting his own honest-to-gosh end zone dances while shouting "Yes!! All Right!!! I'm awesome" I am definitely proud of who and what they are becoming but I do miss my babies (probably a good thing that we have another one coming along very soon). It occurs to us all the time now that Thomas is the exact age Samuel was when T was born. We thought he was so old then. Someday, when my boys are in middle school and are too cool to hug their mom, or have become sassy teenagers, I fully intend to look back at this post and laugh at myself for thinking they are so big. In the meantime, I am going to try to enjoy the spontaneous hugs and kisses from Thomas and the love letters that Sam leaves for me around the house. I will try hard not to think about school being one of the first major, independent steps away from me.
See, so we are all growing! I am excited to see what he gets out of school. He is only going two mornings a week, so we are baby stepping to Kindergarten, where I assure you that I will be an even worse wreck. Feel free to check back in August, when I will be president of the "one of those mom's club". Thomas will get something he has never gotten before, which is Mom's undivided attention for a few hours a week. We have felt that was an important thing to do for him as well before little sister comes along to cut into his already limited personal mom time. I'm pretty sure he will spend most of his special mornings asking where samuel is. There will be no one around to lick. Boring!! But on the other hand, his nose is totally safe.

6 comments:

Anna Linnea said...

Love this post! I know what you mean though. TIme goes by too fast. Someday we will look back and laugh at how old we thought our kids were, when really they were only tiny little things. You have to cherish this times... they go to fast.

Amy said...

I can totally relate on so many levels. When Mclayne went to kindergarten it was so hard, when Chandler went not so much. By the way, Delaney also HOWLS when Chandler steals her nose.

AMANDAM said...

This one almost made me cry. I often feel this way too. Always in the back of my mind are the things that I need to get the kids doing (preschool, lessons, etc.) but I always make excuses for why there is still time. I also like the weird fighting tactics. My kids mostly bicker back and forth about obvious things. Like, "your hair is brown." "No it isn't." "Yes it is. . . ."

Anonymous said...

You have a gift of writing...of course it is easy with my boys. A special memoir and it is right on! I will be saving "1/2 used" paper for Sam, only if I can be the recipient of some more of the drawings. Vegetable man in on the fridge.
jmk

Bek said...

I miss the funny drawing phase (Lu's are increasingly real and J's are not really anything yet). Aww.

The dirty trick about kindergarten is that by the time they are that age, they are kind of your buds and can do much more for themselves...... though it is nice to have a break from the refereeing--but then they need more attention from YOU!!

I love that your boys are friends. I wish mine were more friends and less mortal enemies...

Bertha Broadbottom said...

I thought my boys would outgrow me. Nathan is now taller than I, and soon Gabriel will be also, but they will run back to the house from the bus-stop, through the snow, to get their hug in the morning.

Bigger, yes. But always my boys!