Friday, March 6, 2009

Handsome Regardless

Yesterday Samuel spent quite a while creating a very specific hat. He just called it a "hat with two bumps" and I could not get out of him if it was supposed to be imitating a real hat. It was not a cowboy hat or a crown or anything else you might think a hat with two bumps might be. He finished it and we put a ribbon on it to hold it on his head and he immediately ran upstairs to check out his creation in the mirror. A while later, I noticed he wasn't wearing it anymore but assumed hs had stashed it with the rest of his artistic treasures. As he sat at the table for dinner, he seriously asked:

S: "Mom, do you think I am handsome."
Me: "You are very handsome"
S: "Because I looked at my hat in the mirror and didn't look handsome, so I took it off."

Ah Ha! Poor Sam has had his first artistic angst with his creation not resembling what is in his head. Or is he developing a teenager-like obsession with his looks at the age of five?

In other news, Thomas bid us a "G'night Fools!" as we tucked him in last night. So he is apparently two going on teenage gangster.

Me? I definitely feel my age today.

4 comments:

Becky said...

G'night Fools??? That's AWESOME.

Brad Kinsel said...

Best. Thomas quote. EVER

Anonymous said...

When I quizzed S about his hat he told me the same thing (and that was at leas 3 days later), then he went back to drawing and cutting pix for me. His favorite...a mosquito and shark's tooth!
jmk

CKW said...

That's nothing mom, today he drew a cut out a pipe with smoke coming out if it and a match to light it with. No idea where that one came from either.