Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Me and Disney -- An Exercise in Co-Parenting

Lately I have found myself very grateful to the Disney company for thier assistance in raising my children. Aside from the fact that the boys love all the movies, Disney has incorporated all kinds of little life lessons that help me to make my point when I am raising my kids. All of these are things we have discussed outside of the example of disney shows, but I got some blank stares and could tell things weren't really sinking in (I'm getting used to this look). Here are the actual topics (always brought up by the kids themselves after viewing) we have discussed so far

Cinderella - If you do a good job cleaning, then good things will happen to you.
Finding Nemo - If you run away from us when you aren't supposed to you could get lost for a long, long time (but mom and dad will always come find you).
101 Dalmations - If someone bad takes you away mom and dad will never stop looking until they find you (a little morbid, yes, but still as important to instill in little minds as stranger danger).
The Lion King - If you tell the truth and admit when you think you did something wrong in the first place you might save yourself getting banished to a desert oasis (or, you know, whatever...) This one also inevitably raises the question "What happened to Simba's dad?" which is a little awkward at this age, but a good time to point out that even if parents die and have to go away, they still love you and watch over you.
Fox and the Hound - It doesn't matter if someone looks different than you, you can still be friends.
Pinnochio - When you tell lies, you ultimately get into more trouble (this has been a big discussion around here).
Snow White - Don't take candy (or poison apples) from strangers because they might want to hurt you.
Jungle Book - When adults tell you to do things (even when you don't want to) they are usually doing it to keep you healthy and safe.
Dumbo - It makes people sad when you make fun of them for looking different.

Of course some of the themes we do not get into much such as in the the little mermaid where the heroine teaches children everywhere that if you defy and ignore your parents and do your own thing anyway you may ultimately end up married at 16 to a person you don't really know far away from your family (and that it is a good thing...). Or the fact that the Robin Hood reminds me too much of the Democratic Party's take on the world today. Obviously who the boys decide to support politically in their adult years is TOTALLY their decision, but we may just "accidently" lose Robin Hood for awhile! That's all I'm saying...

I know some people have a beef with the Disney company and complain about how commercialized and how ultimately corrupted it is etc. etc. but I am standing up in defense of it here and now. So if you are one of those people, let's just not talk about it and I will still like you!

In the meantime, there is nothing like a little visual aid to help pound moral lessons into your little darling's head. Try it. Thank me later.

7 comments:

AMANDAM said...

I also like Aladdin: if you don't keep your promises, bad things will happen and anyone can be a "diamond in the rough"
or our favorite, Cars, which I don't think teaches anything except maybe don't think you can do everything by yourself and winning isn't always the most important thing." It also teaches about how to drive in dirt, but that might be less important

Anonymous said...

and.....if you don't believe these characters are real, you can go to Disneyland and actually hug them,get an autograph and a picture.

Yeh, Disney. Look how well you turned out.

Well written, by the way!
jmk

Mak said...

My favorite disney teaching moment was when Lily was at the tender age of three and we watched lion king. A couple of days later, she asked "What is Murder?". Thanks Disney!

Amy said...

And as the mother of a little girl....."if I have pretty dresses everyone must call me "princess"

Anonymous said...

So creative!!! Maybe you should be writing upcoming Disney scripts. I'm sure you could think of a few new ones . . .

CKW said...

Actually Deon, given how well these shows resonate with my kids, I am keeping my fingers crossed for them to release one about a child successfully potty-training in a day. Parents everywhere would love it!

Jen said...

Anything to keep these boys entertained is welcome in my house... ok, maybe not anything... but you understand!