Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The "my teacher knows more than you" syndrome

Today I was subjected to my first ever experience of the "My teacher knows more than you" syndrome, when Samuel came home from preschool to tell me all about the fire safety stuff he learned that day. Now, generally I would probably admit that any given teacher does know more than me, but I can't fight it when Samuel misunderstands what he heard and is convinced it is still right because "his teacher told him." For instance, he told me all about how if there is a fire, you are not supposed to scream or yell because "it will make the fire bigger" you are apparently not supposed to run if there is a fire for the same reason. I expressed my doubt that and he burst into tears.

"Why are you crying???!!!"

(sniff, snort) "You said miss Julie was wronggggg!"

(sigh)

Am I wrong? Has the fire safety standard changed since I was a kid? I agree with not neccessarily running, but the last thing I would want while searching through a smoky house is a kid who stays mum because he is afraid to make the fire bigger.

"But Miss Julie said so..."

What to do? Also, I kind of want Miss Julie to be wrong because I don't really like being replaced as the supreme authority on everything. I knew it would happen eventually, but had no idea it would be this soon.

They grow away so fast.

5 comments:

La Yen said...

Maybe the thinking is that they don't want the kids hysterical? Or inhaling smoke?

Jooj INSISTS that J is only for jumprope and jelly bean. Nothing else. Because those are what Miss Wendy says they are for.

Kate said...

When I read that, I'm thinking he was probably told what to do if he himself was on fire. I mean, it sounds like the kind of advise they'd give kids: don't scream and panic because it would make the fire (on them) bigger.

Just a thought, maybe the whole 'stop drop and roll' is no longer taught, or else he didn't quite catch that part.

CKW said...

K - I bet you are right because that makes sense with the running thing too. Although he kept insisting that it was if there was a fire in the house, so he definitely misunderstood whatever he was told.

Actually he did say they talked about the stop, drop and roll thing so I know they still teach it.

Anonymous said...

This is new information for a 5 year old and pretty scary. I have had parents insist on know when we have a fire drill so they can keep child home...it frightens them to talk about fire (it really did Lauren). However, having moved 30 kids out of a fire...frightening or not...keep teaching. You need to tell the story etc. over and over ( I promise, no child learns on the first tell. Talk about it until he gets it right.

from...a teacher

CKW said...

Good point, mom!