Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Soup Weather

I have another recipe challenge for you all in honor of the cold weather (here anyway, sorry La Yen!) this one is so easy and quick that you will have time to make homemade bread as well. I used to use this recipe to cater lunches for some of J's marketing clients and it is easy to adjust for lots of people or just a few.

I am sure you have had potato soup before, but this one trumps all others ever created. This is the ultimate cold weather soup!

Suzi's Baked Potato Soup

4 Lg. Potatoes
2/3 c butter
2/3 c. flour
1 can chicken broth
5 c Milk (or 3 c. milk and 2 cups of water)
1 onion minced
crumbled bacon (to taste, but I use about 3/4 cup)
2 c. Cheddar
1 c. Sour Cream
Salt, pepper, parsley, (to taste)

Bake potatoes (baking them, particularly in the oven gives the best flavor. Boiling them isn't as good!) and scoop out flesh in big chunks (you can cook potatoes ahead of time, scoop and freeze. It makes the meal even quicker next time around.)
Melt butter in pot. Add onions and sautee until they are clear. Add flour and stir appx. 2 minutes. Whisk in milk/water/chicken broth and stir until smooth. Cook on med. low until thickened (don't boil or milk will scorch). Once the base is thick, add potatoes and bacon. Right before serving, add cheese and sour cream and cook till melted. Salt, pepper and parsley to taste. If the soup is too thick for you, add milk to thin it. This soup is especially awesome for dipping bread!

You will not be sorry, but you may gain a few pounds (worth it though!)

3 comments:

Mak said...

I want to be like you when I grow up. I'd like to say things like "so easy you'll have time to make homemade bread".

I'm not even being sarcastic- I want to be you (or just be your neighbor and get you to bake bread for me...)

http://witsaboutme.wordpress.com/

La Yen said...

Today is supposed to be in the low seventies, so I am putting on a sweater and making this for dinner!

La Yen said...

Oh my great good gravy, that was incredible. I love you.