Sunday, August 24, 2008

I don't care about the Olympics


There. I said it, and I feel so much better. Call me un-american if you want, but I just can't muster up any enthusiasm for the event that is apparently keeping the world on the edge of its seat and causing people to stay up way past their bedtimes on work nights. After the Olympics came to Utah, I was one of the 12 people in the entire state who just didn't care, didn't watch the opening ceremonies and didn't attempt to get tickets to any events. The Curling (what the @#$% is Curling, by the way) event was held in Ogden in the Dee Events center, which is located right next to our old apartment! Did I care that I was that I didn't see the event that took place in our own backyard? Nope. Do I regret not moving into our car and getting in on the action of subletting our apartment for a million dollars for out of state Olympic-goers, like everyone else seemed to be doing? You betcha!



So, now that the Olympics are on every channel (and filling up our DVR so fast that it kicked out all the kids shows I recorded to give me much needed breaks from my children), I have managed to catch something about Michael Phelps, the swimmer. I gathered that he has a single mom, used to be bullied and has a body like a fish (which, admittedly, I can see how that might have inspired bullying, but seriously? In your faces, Michael Phelps bullies! Do you think any of them have admitted to their wives or friends that they used to cream the new Olympic hero? Anyway...) As far as I am concerned, he is the only Olympic competitor. I can honestly express admiration for the dedication it takes to get that far, but I still don't want to watch it. If there is no mystery hatch, Jack Bauer isn't saving the world or Dwight isn't doing something stupid, it just can't keep my attention.



My sentiments are mine alone, though. Jay has been in Med.-High Olympic mode. Once, I heard him upstairs clapping (although at the time, I thought he was banging the remote on the headboard. It's been losing battery power and is seriously annoying.) Don't feel sorry for me. I'm okay with this! Besides, I have been far too busy not getting my laundry done or my house cleaned. There are several spots on my kitchen floor that have been needing my attention for several days now. I almost wish I was an Olympic devotee because it might be an acceptable excuse for letting things slip, but I am going to be honest and just admit that I've been lazy. Want to see what we have been doing instead of everything else we are supposed to be doing?










Making Maps




Eating at Thaifoon



Playing in the water



Hangin' with molten chocolate cake (you can't see it, but trust me, it's there...)

Riding (terrorizing?) the new UTA Train that goes to Salt Lake.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Cyndi!!! The Olympics are fabulous, and I can't believe you would feel this way!! I couldn't even watch the closing ceremonies because it would make me sad that they were over. However, I think we can still be friends. :)

*sarcasm* just another one of the fascinating services that I offer.

CKW said...

Are you being sarcastic that we can still be friends, or that the Olympics are fabulous?

*discernment* NOT one of the fascinating services that I offer...

Jefe said...

I sure do agree with you. I do have one thing to say about the olympics though, it did provide for good late night TV for those of us up at the wee morning hours.

I think we should get back to real TV...i.e. Jack friggin Bauer...

Kate said...

I am shocked an appalled. The Olympics rock! Actually, I'm just coming out of my Olympic coma. Now I have to figure out what to have in the background while I work on my thesis.

We're excited to get tickets and see events live in 2012. I want to see Usain Bolt win the gold again, but this time I want to see it in person.

In fact, Matt and I love the Olympics so much, we're naming our first child after them.

CKW said...

I get the same reaction when I tell people I don't care for ice cream. I gotta be me!