Monday, August 24, 2009

Catching up - Grandpa's Birthday Cookout

I am so far behind on my updating, but these pictures have been sitting in my camera, so...
We celebrated Grandpa K's birthday at a cook out in Provo canyon. I couldn't remember his actual age when the boys asked, so I just told them he was 100.


This ain't your average redneck cookout with something as plebeian as hot dogs! No way, we roasted redwine and gouda (or something) flavored bratwursts.


While the grown-ups ate and ate and ate...


The kids enjoyed themselves digging for treasure in the nearby volleyball sand pit. There was much throwing of sand and tattling (the former by thomas and birdie and the latter by Sam and EJ).

This is what Janie was doing when no one was holding her (poor girl - this was actually the day before her hospital stay).

Chilling with "Unca" Brad.

and Poppa!

Thomas wasn't impressed with his s'more. I am in the process of making sure he is really my kid!

At the end of the evening, goody bags were handed out (courtesy of Sam's insistance that goody bags are the best part of a birthday party).

To top the evening off, we had a little silliness....

...courtesy of Poppa!
Happy Birthday Grandpa/Dad!!

7 comments:

La Yen said...

EL Fudges with Smores? Genius. If your father never does anything else with his life, that birthday will have not been in vain.

AMANDAM said...

I am glad that Sam persuaded that you goodie bags are necessary for a perfect party. I think that coupled with his craftiness = future host of a show on the DIY or TLC networks.

Porter doesn't believe that it is a real party if cake isn't served.

AMANDAM said...

I meant "persuaded you that." Ugh, must remember to proofread.

older but wiser said...

Great party! Glad I was there. Thanks for the update.

Bradshaw Adventures said...

I miss you I miss you I miss you! Love the Fudges cookies with the smore idea!

Mak said...

Hey- when I throw a party, it's a party :) Gormet bratwurst, fudge cookies for s'mores, giant sandpit.

Love the pics!

CKW said...

I can take no credit for the s'mores cookie idea. That was all Mak, I don't deny it is easier, but don't like getting chocolate from the top of the cookies all over my fingers. Also, I prefer the graham cracker to the shortbread. What can I say, I am a s'mores purist.