Thursday, July 9, 2009

We have some preaching to do...

Samuel seems a little confused about Jesus and the role he plays in our lives. He knows he is "the guy who made the world" but beyond that doesn't quite get it yet. This came to our attention through several conversations over the last few weeks.

Scenario #1

Sam: "Why doesn't Jesus go to church? (Accusingly) I never see him there..."

Scenario #2

while driving down a road with new asphalt, some of the rocks were kicked up and made a pattering sound on the back of the car.

Sam: "Who threw something at our car?"
Me: "No one. It's just some rocks that got kicked up and hit the car"
Sam: (Accusingly) "Did Jesus throw the rocks at us?"

Scenario #3

During the Sacrament, Samuel started grabbing more than one piece of bread from the tray...

J: "Whoa, what are you doing? We only take one piece...you know that!"
Samuel: "But there are lots of pieces, why do I only get one?"
J: "Because Jesus gave bread to his apostles and told them to remember him when they ate it, so we eat a piece every sunday to remember him."
Sam: "But if I have lots of pieces, I will remember him lots..."

We have a lot of work to do in the next fourteen years before sending this kid out to the mission field. And we should probably let him know that Jesus is more of a loving deity that the rock throwing, church skipping kind.

4 comments:

AMANDAM said...

ha ha. I think such misconceptions abound among the young. Porter lost a toy the other day and told me it was gone forever. Only Jesus knows where it is. Maybe Jesus will bring it back. He also thought he spotted Jesus (and Joseph Smith) at Sizzler and loudly yelled it to me.

Anonymous said...

Even Aunt J sent around a piece that was headlined..."This sound like something that Sam would say..."

jmk

Anya said...

Men, girl you've got some funny kiddos.....I hope J Lo feels better soon.

Ivy Lou said...

We have to keep a close eye on the sacrament tray. One week, I was sitting by myself with her and I told her to go ahead and take a little cup...She stuck her finder in about 3 of them and spilled that water into about 10 cups more. The lady I was sitting by was mortified. Needless to say, she took a cup from the other side...even after I tried to get all of the contaminated ones emptied into the bottom. Whew!