Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Pixie Motel

I have always thought my neices were the greatest, but I now have reason to believe they might be the most creative and clever as well. We are lucky enough to have L visiting from California for the next few days and invited A over to play as well. The two of them made the greatest creation my backyard has yet seen. Aside from the extreme creativity of these girls, and feeling reminiscent because it was exactly the kind of thing my best friend and I would have done at the same age, it was so gratifying to see little girls being little girls for a change and enjoying sweet simple things. It feels like there is so much marketing focus directed to little girls to be grown up and mature (a la Bratz Dolls, etc.) that is is refreshing to see some get excited over something as classic as fairies. A has reported in the past that she gets razzed at school for being "old fashioned" meaning she is into things like fairies and loves the Muppets. Someday, I hope my daughter at 10 finds joy in these same kinds of things and doesn't feel the pressure to be older than she is. There is so little time to be young and so much to be old.

Both girls are very into the Neverland Fairies franchise and after playing with the dolls for awhile decided to build a Pixie Motel in the backyard for any fairies visiting "The Mainland" who might be tired. It was adorable, so creative and 100% their doing...(for the record, I apologize that some of the pictures are washed out. It wasn't a great time of the afternoon for picture taking but I wanted to make sure we captured what we could.)




Cutting the ribbon for the "Grand Opening"

Inside the Motel...


This was Samuel's creation since he desperately wanted to join in the game and do whatever the big girls were doing. It occurred to me later that we skipped a T-ball game (come on, they are twice a week!!) so he could build a fairy house with the girls. Think that will come back to bite us?! ;-) However, to be fair, he has no idea what a fairy is (judging by his confused questions), and only knows of Tinker Bell from Peter Pan so we had his creation be the Lost Boys hideout. He could relate to that! I love my creative boy.

The sign in front of the Lost Boys hideout courtesy of Sam

Feel free to send any weary pixies our way! I sincerely wish that we could keep the Pixie Motel in the backyard forever looking just the way it is (although Jay might object next time he mows the lawn!)
P.S. Just in case you are curious where Thomas was while all of this creativity was going on, he was watering all my plants in nothing but his underwear and a knitted ski hat. I like to think it was creativity of a different kind...

5 comments:

JM said...

What a fun backyard with so much pixie building material. The only motel they could have made in mine would have been out of grass and a few iris leaves. Yay, girls! Yay, Cyndi's backyard!

Anonymous said...

I really should market my "Lost Boys" I think their is money to be made there.

Brad

Jefe said...

I don't know what brad is talking about. Awesome though! I still occasionally build a fort in my living room... Or I did before I was homeless.

I also Thomas in yellow rain boots...

Mak said...

Oh my gosh- so cute and super creative. I love it and I can't wait until my girls are big/patient enough for such games!

Anonymous said...

The only thing better to add to the motel would be Hollyhock flowers, they are perfect fairy dresses, boats (we used to sail them down the ditch.)

So glad there was a good outlet for such fun and creativity. They will remember that always.
mom